1,000 signatures reached
DURBAN, SA: KAUAI STOP USING SINGLE-USE PLASTIC
We urge Kauai to invest in biodegradable or reusable alternatives and phase out SINGLE-USE PLASTIC ITEMS FROM YOUR STORE(S):
• Plastic straws - These are still being left on counters despite Kauai's public commitment to stop serving straws with drinks.
• Plastic smoothie and drink cups
• Plastic smoothie and drink lids
• Plastic-bottled drinks including Kauai branded mineral water.
• Plastic wrappers including Kauai branded snack bars.
• Plastic, polystyrene and other non-recyclable containers
• Condiments in plastic sachets
Why is this important?
Despite jumping onto the #StrawsSuck bandwagon, Kauai still continues to offer single-use plastic straws to customers. We want you to make a genuine effort to phase out plastic completely.
For far too long, big corporations have forced plastic packaging into our lives when we buy their products. We have been told that recycling and better waste management are the answers. But, we know that over 90% of plastic has not been recycled.
It’s time for corporations to move away from single-use plastic. The disgusting state of our coastline is one blaring example of why. Months have passed since the nurdle spill at Durban harbour, yet bits of plastic still end up on our beaches – we’re talking about a 3,000 km radius!
These plastic pellets, used to create other plastic items, would not have been at our harbour in the first place had there not been a demand for plastic.
WE ASK YOU TO CUT YOUR USAGE TO STOP THE DEMAND FOR THESE ITEMS!
The more that businesses move toward biodegradable or reusable alternatives, the cheaper they will become, and the less plastic makes its way into the environment.